Technology Solutions for the Blind, Limited or Low Vision
How to set up a computer with adaptive technology
(NonVisual Desktop Access) is a free "screen reader” which enables blind and vision impaired people to use computers. It reads the text on the screen in a computerized voice. You can control what is read to you by moving the cursor to the relevant area of text with a mouse or the arrows on your keyboard.
- NVDA works with Microsoft Windows. You can download it to your PC, or to a USB stick which you can use with any computer.
- Normally screen readers are expensive, making them unaffordable for many blind people. NVDA is free. It’s been downloaded 70,000+ times, in 43 languages.
How to Access and Use Your Email via Smartphone and Phone
- Talkler.com - free app (other services are available but this is the service I use)
How to get iPhone Apps Available to the Blind
- Money Reader - free app available on iTunes
- Color App - to describe color (need link)
- GPS Apps
- Be My Eyes | App download
How and Where to Purchase Products, Services and Training for the Blind
- Access Technology Solutions - this is a full service provider for the blind and low vision. They provide trainers, full computer setup and other adaptive technologies.
- AiSquared - Ai Squared has been a leader in the assistive technology field for over 20 years. Our flagship product, ZoomText, is the world’s best magnification and reading software for the vision impaired.
- Assistech - Assistech is an online company based in Tucson, Arizona. They provide assistive technologies for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, partly sighted, speech impaired, physically challenged, as well as those with mobility/dexterity issues, memory loss, and cognitive disorders. We've been in business since March 2000. They offer a 30-day trial period on most products, same-day shipping, fast delivery, and great customer service!
- Independent Living Aids - Independent Living Aids, LLC is the oldest privately-held, mail-order company in the United States of products for individuals who are visually impaired or blind. For over thirty years, we have been providing essential aids with our superb service, and we are proud to be a trusted source of products for the blind and visually impaired. We offer carefully selected, quality products at reasonable prices.